Monday, 29 April 2013

DIY // HOW TO MAKE A SCRUNCHIE

I've seen a massive influx of 90's scrunchies this spring/summer and I really wanted some, but seeing as I haven't had any time or money to go out and buy some, I thought I would make some myself and show you guys how to at the same time, so here goes:
 
You will need: scissors, tape measure or ruler, elastic, safety pin, pen or chalk and a needle and thread (or a sewing machine).  
 

You will also need some fabric of your choice, any type of fabric should work with this. 
 

 Firstly, you need to meaure out a piece of material 90cm by 20cm (you can adjust this to the size you want as this is quite a large scrunchie)and cut it out.



Next you need to fold the material in half lengthways so that the right sides (the sides with the pattern on) are facing each other.
 
 

Sew along the open edge with any stitch, you can hand sew it or use a sewing machine to save time. It doesn't matter what colour thread you use as you won't see it when it's finished.
 


 Cut a piece of elastic the length of an average hair band and turn your now sewn tube of material the right way out. Thread your elastic through the material, making sure not to let go. You can attach the elastic to a safety pin to help thread it through if you find that easier.
 
 
 Use a needle and thread to sew the two ends of the elastic together to make a hairband, then sew up the left over open edges of the scrunchie.
 
 
 AND THAT'S IT!!
 
here's some suggestions of how to wear your scrunchies! and don't forget, you can adjust the measurements to make a different sized scrunchie if you prefer!
 

 
 
001 // so I hope everyone had a great easter holiday and I'm sorry the posts have been a little few and far between but I thought I'd switch things up with a little DIY. I've been really stressed lately with exams coming up but I will try and get a few posts in.
 
 tag me (@mialayzell) in pictures of you wearing your handmade scrunchies on instagram or twitter and I'll give you a shoutout! Enjoy!! xx



27 comments:

  1. Great DIY! Following u too now ;)


    http://lowbudget-lowcost.blogspot.it/2013/04/lace-trend-how-to-wear-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO cool. I love DIY, now all I want to do is buy a sewing machine and make loads of 90s scrunchies. I absolutely love this!! xx

    www.poptartsandsexx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou ahha I'm glad you like it :) get making! Xx

      Delete
  3. So cool! I do hope these are coming back in, they look so fun and cute :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do don't they! I love them :) xox

      Delete
  4. love your blog and style, followed you on gfc and bloglovin :) xx

    http://gypsywardrobe.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much x i've followed back xx

      Delete
  5. your blog is lovely! new follower!

    all--things--pretty.blogspot.com, please check out mine love ta x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thankyou so much, I will definitely follow back xox

      Delete
  6. they're so easy to make- great blog!
    looklovewear.blogspot.com
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahh yay, im definitely trying this out tomorrow after work!!
    loving your blog layout, newest follower :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. show me how it turns out! thankyouu, i'll definitely follow back x

      Delete
  8. Definetly something to try with my sewing machine not wore a scrunchy for bout 15 years. Looks brilliant

    Carrieanne x

    http://imjustalittlepixie.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. make sure to show me how it turns out! I've followed your blog, wanna follow me? xox

      Delete
  9. That looks brilliant, wish I was able to do this x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. have a go! im sure you'll be able to! xx

      Delete
  10. Your blog is gorgeous, and extremely unique. I'm so jealous of how thirfty and diy-clever you are! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww this is so cute and such a compliment! thankyouu xx

      Delete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so beautiful! Great idea, fantastic! : )

    ReplyDelete

I love it when you guys leave me comments so go ahead! I read and reply to every single one and I check out everyone's blogs and always follow back!! Xxx